Adsense



    

Tuesday 19 November 2013

DIY Plaster Ornaments

If you have every crafted with kids this post is going to make you think that I have gone crazy. Kids crafts should be sturdy and strong because they're rough but instead I went for very breakable plaster ornaments.




They were really simple but a bit time consuming waiting around for them to dry, I wanted to try a big one but that just broke so I used some chocolate moulds and made small ones.


Supplies:
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Water
  • Moulds
  • Paint / brushes
  • Sealer
  • Felt
  • Ribbon
  • Hot glue


First I mixed up the plaster of Paris, then poured it into the moulds to set.


Waited 24 hours and popped them out.


Painted them up, then painted them with a gloss sealer, stuck some felt on the back and added a ribbon tie for the tree.


Elizabeth and I only broke half of them....not make sure all the bubbles are remove from the POP



Diy Delight or Disaster? Well in spite of breaking a few they were fun to make and I think they came up really well. Bright, cheery and tradtional, Delight.

What craft will you skip doing again with the kids?

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

17 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I'm headed over to pin them because I might have to try these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. If you don't want to wait around for the plaster to dry, you can buy all sorts of plaster ornaments at Michaels super cheap to paint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so cute Mel. I always get the kids to make their teacher's Christmas cards and that's about all I have the patience for. LOL (kidding) we usually make paper decorations for the tree or other bits and pieces. They get a real kick out of it.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, cheery and homemade! Perfect! I have zero plans for crafting with kids this year...unless you want to send me few kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never worked with plaster of paris - can't stand the texture ;-) Your ornaments turned out very cheerful and colorful ! {my kids were difficult to craft with - Cheri too impatient and Dimitri too precise !}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well those are just adorable! My kids favorite thing to make at Christmas is a paper chain that we count down the days left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for fun with the kids. I bought a carton of plaster of paris for a project I wanted to try and thought it too messy to work with. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those ornaments are adorable Mel! Love that they're polka dotted. Sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delight. We used to do plaster ornaments when I was a kid, and I still remember how fun they were.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun project! I don't think I've ever used plaster of paris...except to make pinatas...I think. I want to get me some molds and get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't done plaster of paris since I was a kid. How fun. Super cute. Pinning. Visiting from DBB & @DearCreatives Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mel those turned out great. Even with a few broken ones I think it was still worth it. They are bright and cheery. And I am sure you made some happy memories while making them. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melly those turned out wonderful. I will try these. Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! Considering my kids are your age and live too far away, I probably won't be making any crafts with them this year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are always a few sacrificial pieces in the bunch... and what a good lesson for your daughter...t doesn't always turn out the way we planned. I think the ones that did turn out are darn right adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They might not be fun to make with kids but they turned out great! Pinning

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute Mel and Elizabeth!! We have an annual craft day with all the sisters and daughters! Ours is next Saturday! Looking forward to all the food and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...