Adsense



    

Sunday 20 January 2013

Pretty Money Boxes



Howdy All,

I want to save some cash this year!

You see I finished working in April, but prior to that I've been on and off Maternity leave and continued to spend like I had 3 kids and 2 full time incomes instead of 5 kids and 1 income.

I am hopeless at sicking to plans, then my friend Leslie over at Violet Imperfection posted an idea that just jumped out at me. The 52 weeks saving plan and basically you save the amount for each week of the year example week 1 save $1 week 6 save $6 you can read more about it here, you may be shocked to see how much you end up with and I like the fact that it eases you into it.

So to make it a little more fun (if you can call saving fun, I personally prefer to spend) I thought I would pretty up some money boxes.

So I had these from an earlier project, and decided they were ugly and never put them in the babies room, besides what do they need cash for?



And I ripped of the vinyl and started over, or as I called it doing a Danni (The awesome Danni of Silo Hill farm often remakes her projects for seasonal items)

Supplies
Money boxes
Modpodge
White paint
Scrap book paper

So I grabbed the money boxes and modpodge them and then after that dried I painted them white (you could skip this but I didn't want the colours showing through)


Choose some scrap book paper (which I hoard because it's so pretty I don't want to use it, dumb I know)
Cut it to size


And glued it on, I could have modpodged it on properly but I always have bad luck when I try that for some reason.



Have to say even though this is so ridiculously simple, these pretty boxes make me happy to look at them. Hopefully I'll be even happier around this time next year when I attack them with a can opener and grab the cash - Boxing day sales anyone??? And because the early amounts are so slow, you could still give this a go. Either add the $6 and start next week at $4 or skip the first few weeks you'll still have plenty of cold hard cash!

If I find at some point that adding the extra $1 is becoming too tough I will know exactly what I can afford and make that my permanent savings amount - I actually think this one is going to stick.

DIY Delight or Disaster? Delight and so pretty


Do you have any cool any savings plans happening this year or any tricks you find useful?


Oh well, lets see how it goes.

Thanks for reading,


Mel xo


Linking at some or all of these great parties

31 comments:

  1. So pretty, Mel! I also have {ugly} money canisters, but I dip into them so many times, I doubt they were ever full ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks for the mention. My glass jar seems so inadequate now! Must pretty it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A total delight! Love the pretty cans and love the idea over at Violet Imperfections! Thanks for sending me over there! I'm giving it a go as well.....now to make a pretty container for saving! Thanks for the shout out dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these, Mel! So pretty and a fun way and great way to save some $! Pinning your adorable money boxes! You'll be excited to open these next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The money boxes and ideas are so cute. I should have tried this a long time ago. For some reason my hubby keeps asking me if I have money hidden somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Such a fantastic way to jazz up those tacky old money tins :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great little project that was explained in a humorous way and is fun to do. Well done Mel (and good luck with the saving plan)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my question is how do you get the $52 you save in week $52! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope this beautiful containers continue to inspire you to save throughout the year. My favorite is the bird, how cute! And, I love that you turned Danni into a verb :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Mel I really love your sesame street ones.. I have a friend who is obsessed with birds and she would love these also.. Great meeting you yesterday :D

    Lami

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your money boxes look great. Good luck on the saving plan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the perfect way to use the paper you like so much you don't want to use, because now you'll get to enjoy it all of the time! These came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the piano notes! Super easy to make too!

    Thank you for linking your favorite post to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured :)

    xoxo
    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea. I like simple. I can do these! I so understand the hoarding something cuz you don't want to use it. I am VERY guilty of that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is a great idea! Definitely need to get on a budget myself. Love to spend the money.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great Mel! Isn't wonderful how mod podge can make anything fantastic. :) Thanks for sharing at my party. Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Marcie @ I Gotta Try That

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute!!! My favorite is the bird, love birds! Thanks so much for sharing tutorial! Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great idea! They are both beautiful too. I especially like the bird. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful new money boxes Mel! I remember saving the same sized coin each week as a kid and being so excited at the end of the year opening the box up to spend my big stash of coins!!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute! Makes me want to NEVER get rid of anything!! I can make it all pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those turned out so cute! I also hoard my scrapbook paper--it's too pretty to use! My husband always says, "You and your paper!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful! I'd love to have you come share some of your projects at my link party that just went live!

    http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com/2013/01/an-oldie-but-goodie-link-party-2-and.html
    I'm your newest follower!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely money jars! How exciting it will be to open them up at the end of the year and see how much you have saved! I love the idea of redoing money jars to make them match my decor!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like so much!!
    If you want can share it in my italian link party :)
    http://paroladilaura.blogspot.it/2013/01/share-your-link-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for having me on Inspiration Cafe today! I had so much fun! I'm a new follower for your blog too!! ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are so sweet. Good luck on saving!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, such a fun tip! Love how it turned out:)

    Your follower blogging @ Lipoid Pneumonia, Breast Cancer & Petroleum Jelly

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are so cute... and practical... if one has a place to put one's change, one might actually consider saving it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...