Adsense



    

Wednesday 24 September 2014

10 things I've never told you before

Hey Guys,

We are on school holidays, the weather is absolutely glorious and so I wont be around much, the kids and I are having some fun. We've been doing things like finger painting in our undies...the little two that is, the rest of us prefer to stay clothed. Crafting and I have been doing some pretty deep Spring Cleaning!!! (Filled my car after just doing my wardrobe)

Anyway I thought I'd share 10 things I may or may not have told you over the past couple of years and I would love it if you joined in and shared 10 things about you.

1. Growing up we had the good old back yard pool and my parents would not let us swim unless the temperature was over 27. My brother, sister and I would stare at the barometer with our bathers on once it hit 25 in hopes that we would be swimming any minute. To this day as soon as I see 27 it automatically makes me happy.  That's me in the green tshirt, with all the zinc, we burn easily. In fact in the middle of summer my Mum used to make me sswim in a skivvy, so cool....



2. I have dodgy ankles and I am a big old klutz. I spent EVERY school holiday either on crutches or in a cast. Except for the time I broke my nose. The weird thing is even after I left school for the first 18 months I still wound up with something sprained or broken. More often than not it was my ankle.

3. My mother family immigrated here from Ireland I am of the first generation from that side born here in Australia. I don't really identify with it, other than St Patty's day and lets be honest everyone is a little Irish in March.



4. I was married prior to marrying Jules. I was young and dumb and I sincerely hope my kids don't marry before they're 25. Jules is 6 years younger than me, which interestingly enough, always raises eyebrows but my ex was 6 years older than me and nobody EVER mentioned that age difference.

5. If I ever had a career do over I would love to write commercial jingles, not sure why but it sounds really fun.

6. I was never a girlie girl. I have always been much more comfortable with boys my favourite toy as a kid was a Tonka Truck.

7. My retirement plan is to move to the country and try to have a fully self-sustaining property, except for meat. I would buy meat I don't think I could raise then eat an animal. I long to have a little cottage full of scrappy quilts and baskets of home grown fruits. I know lots of people have done the sea change/tree change here but for the sake of my kids education and income possibilities, I don't think it's the right thing for us now. I love this quilt, Mum made it for Madeleine. (I want to keep it for myself)



8. My biggest fear for my short term future is not being able to get back into the work force. I have plans of going back when the little two are in school but being over 40 and out of the workforce for a few years, I am worried that t will hurt my employment prospects.

9. Without a doubt I am sure my family is finished. I have been watching friends and family have babies the last couple of years and as gorgeous as all those little ones are, I never feel clucky. I am happy to hold and happier to hand them back.  You see lots of pictures of the little two so I thought I would show you my older three when they were little, oh so many memories.



10. My bucket list includes, skydiving, bungee jumping and learning how to crochet. I have tried so many times to crochet and I CAN NOT figure it out. I make one long chain and that's as far as I get. I have been shown in person, watched you tube videos read books but the technique just eludes me. I find it really frustrating.


Anywhoo, I think I have one more post coming up over the next couple of weeks, but if not, see ya soon. Oh and if you decide you want to share some things about you, do it in the comments or blog and let me know so I can learn more about you guys.

Mel xo

22 comments:

  1. Well that was fun to read! I do think if you put on those pink rebel boots, they will keep your ankles stable! LOL! Skydiving? Bungee jumping? I'll watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I think I know a lot about you, I discover more. This was fun! I wouldn't worry too much about going back to work. You have been working by writing this blog. Not a bad credential for jingle writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to learn more about you, Mel ! I'd do skydiving, but no way would you even catch me near a bungee thingy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is fabulous! I'm cracking up that you put crochet in the same bucket with skydiving and bungee jumping! You do realize how different those...ummmm...sports are...??

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Mel, besides the kids/no kids, and living on opposite ends of the earth, we have a lot in common. (After breaking it in 2006 I now have a bionic metal enforced dynamo ankle on my right leg. It's fabulously strong, but will set off the metal detector in airports. I'm not sure if I can leap tall buildings in a single bound, I haven't tried yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll never catch me sky diving or bungee jumping, but I'll cheer you on for sure. Flying when we travel is plenty thrilling enough for me. I love that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No sky diving or bungee jumping on my bucket list. I would like to relearn to crochet, though. Your Mum's quilt is BEAUTIFUl and good on her for protecting your skin when you were young.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Mum is a fabulous quilter! I would love a home full of quilts, too, but mine would possibly be darker colored and with lots of different textured fabrics, at least that is what comes to mind. I don't think you will have any trouble getting back into the workforce. These days I think the world expects a mother to take time off while the kids are too young for school. So glad you are enjoying the break from school with the kids, keep it up, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to try out ziplining. Had a chance while on a cruise and have always regretted not doing it. I have lots of "re-dos" or "do - overs" Don't think you'll have a problem re-entering the workforce. I was my father's caregiver until he passed and then I went back to work and I was over fifty! Enjoy this time with your kids, before you know it they're grown and on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting facts Mel! Around here when it hits 27, that's when the coats come off - just kidding! :) Oh and I love the 'everyone is a little Irish in March' bit.

    Enjoy the hols with the kiddos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are all a little Irish in March! haha Your mom is one talented quilter! Your kids are just so darn cute! Enjoy your holidays with the kids.....I'd say break a leg but that's probably not a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post! You are very interesting indeed. I love the age difference between you and your husband. I never understood why people care if the man is younger. If it helps I'm three months older than Rob..lo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a klutz too :). I love your retirement plan I so would be there with you :).

    You know skydiving and bungee was on my list too. Then when I went to Canada with my boss last month and was offered a change to Bungee I chickened out .. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Writing commercials sounds like fun. Or making up greeting cards. No bungee jumping for me either! I like slow and low HA! This was a fun post Mel. Have fun with your kids! So weird that it's spring there...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love learning more about you, Mel. No bungee jumping for me, but you should check out this funny video about it by Jeanne Robertson, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1_W0LCHwK4 By the way, "Left Brain" is what she calls her husband....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this post...it was fun getting to know you better! I too would love to learn to crochet, but like you, all I can do is a chain! I have tried and tried again with no luck! Lets, see...a few things about me.....growing up, I was public schooled, home schooled, and Christian schooled growing up and now I teach at a public school. I only dated one guy and I married him....almost 26 years ago! I have two kiddos...my diaghter, Miranda will be 25 on Saturday, and son, Dakots is 19. I have never had my ears pierced and have never broken a bone. I do think I fractured my tail bone in a roller skating incident when I was a teenager though...lol! I live in the country...18 miles from the school I work at. I have only one sibling...a younger sister. I don't eat peanut butter or mayonaisse, oysters, beets, or sushi, but that's about all. OK...that's probably over ten...I didn't count! LOL Have a wonderful time with all your babies on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved this post! I'm so glad that you are enjoying the holiday with the kids. I hope you are making some wonderful memories and who knows, maybe one of them will make it in their own 10 things I haven't told you post. I knew most of these things but the last one made me laugh. Not sure how many people's bucket list includes such dare devil things as bungee jumping but also includes something like learning to crochet :) Enjoy your break and those adorable kids!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I taught my babies how to crochet, I'm pretty sure I can teach you...as long as you make what they did....a crocheted rat's tail for your hair. I think we'll have to be neighbors when we retire. You and me, trading veggies, rocking on the porch and quilting and crocheting the live long day away while the menfolk...I dunno, chop down the trees or till the garden or something.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many new things to learn about you. Growing up, we had to quickly learn to swim or be left on the beach. Both my parents swam a lot. I have never wanted to sky dive or bungee jump, but would love to put on a flying squirrel suit and jump off a very tall building. When we were young, Chucks and I were convinced retiring to the country was the ideal for us. Now it is city life we love. (More like small town!) One other thing - I am not-so-secretly green with envy over your pink boots!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know you were over 40. I've been out of the work force awhile too, and we moved to an area where it's hard to find work, so I worry about the workforce thing too. It's hard to get an interview even (for a career job), but I get a lot of letters saying, 'we're sorry, hundreds of people have applied, blah blah blah.' I could drive to the uni over an hour each way to get work, but it's a bad area (Detroit) and in the winter would be awful driving. We'll see what happens, I'm thinking it will all work out in the end, things usually do. :)

    The swimming pool picture is fun. I can totally tell that's you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. loved this post!! I really learned SO much about you! I wish we lived closer, then I'd teach you how to crochet over a nice afternoon tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Phew I'm all caught up, sorry it took me a little bit to get over here :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...