Adsense



    

Tuesday 23 October 2012

And The Curtain Closes

Morning Everyone,

Well I am over excited today here is the very last project before the big reveal!

The Roller Blind


I didn't know what I was going to do for this, simply because we need to have 100% block out during our summers and the idea of sewing curtains scared the living daylights out of me.

I've seen all of these roller blinds on Pinterest that had been covered in fabric but I couldn't find anything I liked. Then I thought with all the educational pieces in the room, I should add some shapes.

So here is how I did it.

Supplied:

Roller Blind
Vinyl
Digital Cutter

I unrolled the blind on the floor



Then I cut out my shapes

Placed them on the blind



Then Julian and Samuel (The joy of having teenage children - Unfortunately there aren't many, don't judge me for saying that until you start living with your own version of teen aged angst!) installed it for me


There you have it one educational roller blind.


DIY Delight or Disaster? I like it, this was a heck of a lot cheaper than sewing or buying blinds. It adds more color and it's educational. Confession, I have never bought my kids educational toys (unless you count books, which I don't because reading is fun) I figure they have 5 years before the world starts making expectations of them and they should just have fun. We all know kids learn through play, you can teach your kids through fun without buying expensive toys or gimmicks. My older kids are doing just fine so 5 years of play did not hamper their education. Baking is their first science experiment, cooking teaches them math, reading teaches them about words, honestly a $50 toy that sings the alphabet is less help than singing the alphabet while they're in the bath. Anyways, enough of my views on parenting this for me is a delight and stay tuned the reveal will be posted shortly.

What are your thoughts, Delight or Disaster? Do you think educational toys make a difference or do you prefer to add it to your play time?


Thanks for reading

Mel xo

Linking up here

http://www.tipjunkie.com/all-crafts/handmade-projects/homemade-projects-1023
Smart! School {House}




saving4six


13 comments:

  1. I love it, I can't wait for the big reveal. I have mixed feelings on educational toys. I much rather have toys that encourage free play and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another adorable project! I think having educational decor is smart. A certain little girl that I know, taught herself the sign alphabet, because her mommy hung a poster on her closet door. I had forgotten all about that! Your wee ones will be shape pros in short order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but that IS an educational toy. What is more fun than whipping the roller blind up and down? Now you see the shapes and now you don't. That's what my kids would have done. Until they broke it of course! They gave me a roller blind phobia. Still, I'd judge this a DIY delight and can't wait to see it all together! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great philosophy. I love that you, who have raised both little ones and now big ones are reassuring us that you don't need fancy toys to raise smart kids. I love it! The curtain looks great. How wonderful that your older 2 helped get it hung. I think that it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... love the idea! from what I gather, you're giving your little ones a head start by combining education as well as entertainment! This roller blind is a sure DIY Delight and I might just copy you but make mine a Design Wall instead!

    can't wait for the big reveal. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think imagination is so much more important than toys. Like the blind - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delight...as usual! Love the colors and the fact that you got teenagers involved (you must have some powerful magic there)! Love that you let your kids be kids and don't spend a trillion dollars on crazy toys! Smart mom! Looking forward to the reveal!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great, Mel - I bet the kids love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your kids are going to learn their ABCS, how to tell time and shapes in the newly decorated bedroom. pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome idea!!!!! Very well done my friend! Thanks for coming to party with us!

    Kelly,
    Smart! School {House}
    www.smartschoolhouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool idea, and I can imagine really helpful when things start heating up!
    As for educational toys, I don't really bother. They learn just by playing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! I would have never thought of this. Thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday. I hope we see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...