Adsense



    

Monday 1 October 2012

Ruffle Scarf

G'day All,






I'm going to confess, I love scarves, fabric scarves are pretty but I love nothing more, than buying the latest winter yarns and click clacking up some fun.

These scarves look amazing and are so simple, even if you are a beginner knitter you can whip one of these up in a jiffy.

Supplies:
1 ball of yarn (there are many different brands, but research suggests that Boutique Sashay Yarn can be purchased anywhere. I found it for sale here ) I used a $2 ball I found in store at Riot.
6mm needles or Size 10 for the U.S.



Now the instructions can be very confusing, if your lucky enough to get them, but it's really simple. So beware lots of pictures, but once you get it, you'll be pumping these out by the dozen.

Casting on, now this is where it is different than your normal knitting, first you need to pull apart the wool, like this. Don't try to do the whole ball, just do it a bit at a time




Then, leaving a very short tail (about an inch - 1.5 inch) weave the yarn through every SECOND hole, at the top of the yarn. The top is the side that does not have a nice finished edge. So basically there is no yarn over, it's just putting the needle through the ready made holes.



Do this until you have 6 loops.


Then grab your second needle and just like you would normally knit, put the needle in your right hand through the first loop on the left hand needle. Leave a one hole space and place the next hole onto the right hand needle like so.




The pull it over the top of the loop, as you would do when knitting with regular yarn.


Repeat this, and every few rows gently tug on the scarf, this pulls out the ruffles.

Don't be too concerned if your yarn rolls, like this


Continue until you have approximately 10 inches of yarn left

Cast off using the same method, knit two loops, then take the 1st loop (the one furthest from the needle point) and lift it over the 2nd loop and drop it off. Continue to the last loop. Then grab what's left of the tail, bring it through the last loop and tightly tie it off in a knot - this will be hidden by the last ruffle.



Trim the tails, hold it in the middle to make sure the ends are even, and there you have it, one ruffled scarf.


Now I'm not going to lie, I have about 6 of these in all different colors, Love them!






Thanks for reading,

Mel xo



And check out my Lace Ruffle Scarf


Be Delighted Every Day, Follow Mellywood's Mansion!
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here



Grab knitting Supplies here


32 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed! Not only can you knit, you can do some kind of weird knitting. Not bad weird, just different. Can you tell I can't knit a stitch? That is a beautiful scarf! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for being part of our group this week Mel - its great having you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a cool scarf! I can't knit, the room starts spinning (or maybe it's my head) when I even think about it. So impressed with anyone who can do it. Anyway, I LOVE your scarf and I don't blame you for having it in many colors. I would, too- if I could knit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I 100% percent agree with Sheila G. I so wish I had better hand-eye coordination. ;) if I wasn't such an impatient spaz maybe I could produce some more projects that involve the use of needles.

    this is lovely, mel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, looks stunning! I can't knit unfortunately - but I might be tempted to give this a go!

    Thanks for the tute :)

    Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is BEAUTIFUL. I love how frilly and full it is. Sadly, I am not a knitter...though, your tutorial makes it look like I could be but I know my limitations. I'll just have to admire your beautiful scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to tell you one more time, how much I love your post! Thank you so much for guest posting today! Btw, I love scarves too...I have a ton. I had foot surgery two years ago this month and of my friends showed me how to knit. I made soooo many scarves. I'm keeping a lot of friends and family warm! I wonder with my limited skills - I have not knit a thing in over 1 1/2 years - if I could tackle this? I'll keep you posted! Thanks so much again, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your beautiful scarves!!! I'm over from Silo Hill Farm.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those scarves are beautiful! I love the all the frilly texture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous. I am a crocheter and have never knitted but this is calling out my name to learn to knit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently came across this type of scarf, It can be crochet, I've made dozens. I'm making them to raise money for a Cure for cancer and an animal rescue. I love them. Depending where you live depends on the brand of yarn.

      Delete
  11. Wow! I have never seen yard like that before. While I can knit, I am not a fan.... but I may have to try this, I love it!
    Hopping by from Take a Look Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unfortunately, I cannot knit a stitch... at all... tried and tried and cannot get it! Love this scarf to death! Seriously beautiful and fancy! Thanks for sharing with us at tip toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. where are the instructions for how many stitches to cast on and how to work the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      With this yarn being so different to work, I went through the instruction for a beginner. So if you look at the first photo I showed how to cast on using the loops. At the second photo I showed the 6 loops. Then showed how to continue. Lastly I showed how to cast off. I did this, rather than a quick work up, as I've found in real life, it scares people off. There is no stitch type because you knit through the loops on the yarn.

      The closest to a normal knitting pattern would be:
      Cast on 6
      knit every row until 10 inches of yarn remains
      Cast off

      I hope that helps, I tried to email but you have no address, please feel free to leave another comment or contact me via any of the methods listed on my contacts page, should you want any further information.

      Mel xo

      Delete
  14. LOve the ruffle scarves!! You did a fabulous job! Maybe someday I'll be able to make one too :)

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful! I am stopping over via the link-up at Sew Much Ado!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    Exercise Encouragement Group blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Visiting from Simple Home Life link up. i love this tutorial! i wish I could do THIS!!! You are very talented and the scarves are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So super pretty and feminine. Loved and pinned. Thanks for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted you to know that I have featured your beautiful scarf on the blog today!
    xoxo
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm back, thought you might want to share your scarf at Happy Go Lucky's scarf party today! http://www.happygoluckyblog.com/2012/10/create-and-share-diy-scarves.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so awesome!! I super love this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Totally not in my skill set -- I'm so envious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these!!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/lemon-sugar-cookies-no-refrigeration.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, wrong link. :/ I wanted to invite you to link up to my Clever Chicks Blog Post this week, here is the link: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/autumn-giveaway-clever-chicks-blog-hop-4.html

      Hope to see you there!
      Kathy
      The Chicken Chick

      Delete
  23. How pretty! This looks crocheted! I had no idea you could do this with knitting needles!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this scarf. It is so beautiful. I am printing out the instructions for it. Thanks. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    www.adornedfromabove.com
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, this is so pretty! I wish I could make one (or five), but I've never knitted anything in my life! What a great gift idea, too.

    Stopping by from the Simply Creations link party.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for linking this and your Teen Boy Gift at our party last week.
    This week's party is up and running. We would love if you would visit the "Think Tank" again this week!
    http://www.saving4six.com/2012/10/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is so pretty and girly! Love the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is so pretty and girly! Love the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very pretty Mel. I can't say I've ever seen that wool. I must look out for it.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...