Adsense



    

Friday 5 September 2014

curtains

Good Morning,

One of the things that was really in need of replacing in Elizabeth's room were those awful blinds. When I moved into the mansion these were in every room, along with the horrid blue painted walls, and believe me that blue was horrible, but matched with the ugliest blue carpet, it was any wonder it took them a year to sell it.




With her bedroom furniture and the green, it appeared we were going with a cottage look so I wanted the curtains to be pretty and nothing says pretty like ruffles. I could not find ruffled curtains anywhere and it became clear I would need to make them.

I used very basic poly cotton and cut it into 6&1/2 inch strips. Why 6&1/2 well thats my quilting ruler size and it made measuring very easy.


Then I spent an entire day and night ruffling up those strips. By the way if you want a crazy easy way to ruffle without all the thread pulling, check out Sew Delicious tutorial here, I will never make them any other way again!

Once you have a pile this big, you're ready to start making the curtains.

I measured the lining by using a water soluble marker and ruled off every 4 inches.

Then spent another day pinning and sewing those suckers on. It was mind numbing, but I have been on an INXS binge and listened to the KICK album over and over again. Day no longer wasted.


I had some issues with the original tab tops I made so I shortened them and popped rings on them. and Made a little valance in green poly cotton and a strip of white lace.


Called them good. 

DIY Delight or disaster? All up these cost about about $40 to make and they look better than the blur blinds. I think they could have been better but they're alright so hesitantly I'm calling it a delight. Elizabeth is happy so at the end f the day it's her room right.

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

16 comments:

  1. The curtains are lovely and so suitable for a young lady ! Looks 110% better than the blinds, Mel - great job !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ruffle curtains! You have a lot of patience! I don't know if I would. You did a fantastic job Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl you just amaze me! They are awesome! I'll bake you can sew and be crafty, come live with me .. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. They turned out really sweet Mel, I think they look really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those looks so girly and frilly. How adorable. What a fantastic room. She is never going to want to leave her room now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy BLEEP! I cannot believe you made these. Good for you, woman! They're beautiful and so girly. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing says cottage like beautiful ruffles! Oh my gosh Mel, those are gorgeous and I can't believe you made them! I'm hoping my second sewing project is a curtain for my craft room. (First is a pillow). I hope mine look at least half as good as yours! I'd better start following Sew Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them! I wanted to do ruffled curtains for the guest room, but I don't have a serger and the thought of hemming ruffles gives me a mini-stroke. Great job, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are stunning Mel. I have an old serger so I might have to pull it out and see if I can figure out my tension for some ruffles! You really did an amazing job on her curtains. Love the white!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mel, are you kidding, those are sooo cute!! Between the roll top, the green door and the hoop art, your curtains fit right in. True delight, and Elizabeth agrees!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Mel, the ruffles look so pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your ruffles turned out perfect. I'm sure curtains with that many ruffles on them in the store would cost a pretty penny or two! I say delight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are beautiful! I had a ruffler attachment for my old sewing machine, but haven't gotten one for my current one- I really hate pulling those threads, so I need to check out that link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot sew so I will remain impressed from afar - and also tell you that I immediately got the song 'Calling All Nations' stuck in my head. "Jump into your old car, or take a cab, train, or boat..."

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!!! Those turned out fantastic!! I think I would have stabbed something before I finished a project like that. Kudos to you for keeping everyone alive in the process!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...