Adsense



    

Friday 31 August 2012

Because my Mummy Did

You know the old saying, at some point or another we all turn into our mother's.

Well I don't know about that but more and more I realize the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and I find myself from at times doing things and later think, I have no idea why I did that, it's just simply because my Mum did/does it. That's what this project is about.

A Quilted (Pointless) Laundry Mat





I remember Mum having mats in our laundry, but after I made this, I looked at it and thought, this is a wet area, why do I want to add something to the floor that is is going to require washing and cleaning? Well it's made now, so it's going in there.

Speaking of my Mum, she is a glorious quilter, I mean, she makes the MOST stunning quilts, while I on the other hand prefer to fake it and go for whatever is the easiest option. I am, under Mum's careful eye, currently making my first real quilt, complete with binding. I'll share it with you when I finish. I should add that I bought the squares pre cut, in January. I will finish it, Mum will make sure of it!

Anyway back to the pointless mat, that I will have to wash and the kids will walk all over with dirty shoes and I will regret making it for the rest of it's functioning life.

Supplies:
Assorted fabric, I had on hand
Quilt Batting
Sewing machine/Overlocker, (aka for my American friends, a Serger)
Sewing supplies
Basting spray

I cut out the 4&1'2 inch squares (when it comes to sewing I don't use metric)


Decided how I wanted them laid out


Walked away, Madeleine messed them up and so I did it again

The culprit, now behind bars (blurry because she was moving)



Sewed into strips, then sewed them together to get that diagonal pattern
Basted the batting and cut the fabric for the back. I baste with basting spray, because again, it's the cheaters easiest way to do it, then I'll add a couple of pins, just in case.

Quilted it in the ditch. If you've never done this because "in the ditch" scared you, I'm going to say do it, it's actually pretty easy


Then instead of binding it, I overlocked (serged) all the edges.





Here she is, The Pointless Laundry Mat.




DIY Delight or Disaster?

Well even though it is pointless, I like the pattern so I'm going with delight. What do you think? Do you have any pointless items or habits, that you do only because your folks did it?

Oh and here's a close up of some awesome fabric




Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

6 comments:

  1. Your quilted mat is beautiful--I love the pretty colors in the fabrics! It was so nice to hear from you at my blog today--I appreciate your sweet sentiments, and glad that you like my garden trellis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i am dying to learn to use the sewing machine. you make it look very easy. looks like your mat would go great in your laundry room!
    i would say success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is easy, learn to sew a straight line and its really simple, much easier than clothes for a newbie

      Delete
  3. Love it! I'm tellin ya, your laundry room is going to be so cute when you are done with it! I am not good friends with my sewing machine...at all. It's possessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl! Visiting/following from the blog hop! Come over and visit me today! :)

    How awesome! I really want to make a quilt out of some of the little ones baby clothes!

    xoxo ♥ Shar
    http://sharmartinez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks great. I really like the colors. I am not very good at sewing or anything crafty really.... I would love to change that! Stopping by from That Friday Blog Hop. I am also a new follower. Have a great holiday weekend.

    Michele @ http://lovejoyjunction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...