Adsense



    

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Lies, Damn Lies and Butter?

We all know the saying Lies, damn lies and statistics, and I have to tell you, I'm a stats junkie. So I'll get into that but first up here's my next "offering", a formula can redo. Hardly exciting or difficult and the result, it's a butter project.







Back to stats, in my former life as a working gal, I lived and breathed stats. Loved them, analyzed them and used them to increase my productivity and that of my employees.

Of course as a new blogger, I was thrilled to discover a new set of stats to devour. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a number of hits from an unrecognized URL. So immediately I marvel at my own genius and that the world suddenly had decided that massive ironing boards were in fact, the latest thing and everyone wanted to gaze enviously at the ABIB. Right away I'm thinking  patents, copyrights, royalties, should I offer a measure and quote service at an inflated price and when should I start researching factories to produce them in bulk.

Sadly for me, this was not the case, it seems some disgusting spammer goes around looking for new sites in the hope that our vanity will lead us to click on their crappy site, so that we can be bombarded with even more spam from their sister sites filled with malware & viruses. As you can imagine, I wasn't a very happy camper. So warning if you're not sure on a referring site, google them!

How does this relate to butter?

Well today's project is what I like to refer to as a butter offering, or spelled correctly but-ahh.
If you don't know what it means, it's when you see something from far away and you go, oh that looks great then you get up close and you screw your face up and think, "but-er" no, no it's not.

Today I decided to recycle or upcycle some formula cans. Which brings me to ask, what the heck is the difference between recycling and upcycling? Was it just a trendy way to make turning your rubbish into something else, sound a little more exciting?

Anyway, I have a million and one formula cans and thought I'd make a few canisters.

Supplies, all on hand:

Formula can
Paint - I used the left overs from the stencil wall
Vinyl
Svg files, and if anyone's interested, if I can't get free files, I get them from Lettering Delights, because it's already in my software program, I'm using Make the Cut and they're only a couple of bucks.


First I gave the cans 3 coats of paint



Cut my files, then trying to weed the stupid vinyl ( when things go wrong, always blame the tools) I lost all the letter holes (you know, like the semi circle from the e)


 I decided to touch them up with a sharpie and from far away they look alright, but-ahh, up close, they're kind of gross. You see craft bloggers, I hop around your sites looking at how you turn your garbage into pretty, functional items, leading me to think "I can do that", turns out, I can't.

Wanna see what I mean?

DIY Delight or Disaster?

Disaster, but since they're on top of the shelf, my little But-Er cans will do!

Thanks for reading

Mel xo




15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the evening laugh! You crack me up! I was still wondering what a butter project was when you so humorously explained it! I have a lot of butter projects...I just didn't know what to call them! I still think your cans are cute and love the way they match your border. You probably understand your analytics better than I do mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well actually according to an advertisement here, butter is better ;)As for the stats, I'm reading them, but I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to d with them, other than stare and avoid house work!

      Delete
  2. That is awesome! They look great! WHAT-EVAHH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the world of DIY goes really bad, you know you two will be blamed for encouraging me! Thank you for all your support xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those spammers are such a nightmare, I hate them. I get so many spammy comments but I am loathe to turn captcha back on because I don't like using it myself. Luckily blogger picks them up in the filter.

    Love those cans, they look fabulous - wish my laundry was as organised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros, it's actually been an unexpected upside of trying to make it look a nicer, I cleaned out a heap of junk, and now the everyone knows where things are.

      Delete
  5. I love the way your cans turned out. I like the fun colors you painted them too. So sorry about the evil spammers. I learned to Google first after we got a horrible virus our computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are cool. I really enjoy making over cans and this is a wonderful idea to try

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I found your blog through Silo Hill Farm and it's very funny. I love your writing style! Funny you should mention spammers. I was looking at my most recent emails and I noticed one that had my sister's full name (from) to my full name. When I clicked on it there was another link and I noticed the address was not my sister's. I knew this was a virus waiting to attack so I marked it spam. I'm calling my sister to let her know she probably has a virus. The world can be really wicked! On a brighter note, I look forward to reading more of your anecdotes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like them! I actually like the look of the sharpie :)
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute and most important you made me laugh. I'm your newest follower. Come check out my blog when you have a minute at http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. would love it if you could share this on my linky party Serenity Saturday, that runs from sat-thurs @ www.serenityyou.com

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog through the Craft-O-Maniac link party. Your writing is amazing! Don't ever be discouraged because someone elses craft looks "better." It's all about the camera angel and how they've staged it. Plus, we always judge ourselves more than others! Your upcycle/recycle craft is fantastic and I bet it make life easier!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...