Adsense



    

Tuesday 21 August 2012

The House of Horrors...Inside the Mansion

Bomp bomp bommmmp, I'd love to add sound effects but, 1, I hate it when you open a page and sound comes blaring out and 2, I'm technically challenged.

If a picture says a 1000 words, your head will spin at this post....A visual tour of Mellywood's Mansion, if you're weak of heart, please avert your eyes. These pictures have not be edited to protect the guilty and I leave them like this so you have a clear understanding of what my challenge is.

So without further ado, I present, Mellywood's Mansion:

Firstly the boys room, no storage space for two high school aged boys. Note the gross fab blue trim, this photo was taken during the morning light - this is as light as it gets, the window backs onto the pergola blocking the sun for most of the day.



Next up, Elizabeth's room, probably the best in the house, love the broken, blue verticals, and while the furniture is ok, there is no personality in the room and those love hearts are not likely to take her into her tweens.



The babies room, poor Max has just turned one and he has only ever lived with pink walls (let's just say he was an unexpected surprise) Madeleine is not really a pink girl, she's 2&1/2 and like most toddlers she loves bright colours and Sesame Street. I did put Max's name up on the wall but the M fell off.
If  life in a pink room disturbs him, I'm not sure what sleeping with the word Ax above his head will mean, we're currently saving for therapy, he may need it!



Moving right along, the kids bathroom, it's shabby and those blue tiles, I mean why? Why would you purposely put these tiles in your house. They show every spec of dirt and are as slippery as all heck.



The carpet, the true horror, bright royal blue carpet, reflecting off the living room walls. The red and yellow plastic gates belong to the playpen. It helps make the place look like a McDonald's playground.


Archways, the house is built around these arches, I'm pretty sure the builders of this 70's house were on a trip and thought they were building a time warp.


The Kitchen, please note the grayish blue laminate cabinets with the complimentary faux wood panels. Now I know gray happens to be "in" at the moment, but I'm pretty sure this shade is not high on anybody's list.


We also find more time tunnels in here

On the plus side I get to look out on this little face when I"m cooking, meet Max, the baby. This is one side of the living room, which doubles as the play area/craft room.

The Hall, in the bright morning light, this is as bright as it gets and we still have the grey/blue lifeless walls and blue trim.


As you can see, I have plenty to do and there are many more horrors, but that's enough for now.

So you may ask, why did you buy the place in the first place and why haven't you fixed it yet?

Here are the reasons:

  1. It was cheap!
  2. It was empty so I didn't really see the issues I would face when trying to put the room together.
  3. The only time I was able to see what the house looked like, due to work commitments, was at night. Therefore the light issues weren't a consideration.
  4. I worked 9 hours a day, then spent a further 2 hours travelling to and from, another hour per day doing the drop off and pick up of the kids so a house where we basically only ate, slept and promptly left, didn't really require too much attention.


Now I'm back home, with two more babies and I can't stand it any longer!!

Stay tuned for the starting point

Thanks for reading

Mel xo



12 comments:

  1. So excited that I found your blog! I love house renovations and I think yours will be great to watch! I am your newest follower and can't wait to follow you through your house journey! If you ever have time come checkout my blog too! (I love blogging friends!)

    -Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy, I stopped by your blog - I take my hat off to you :) I loved the stripes

      Delete
  2. Poor little Ax! But thanks for the laughs! That was a great post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really fantastic blog...and I'm not just saying that because I'm your Dad. I mean I'm used to your sense of humor, but it still cracked me up. When you are sober or the drugs wear off, stop and think about it. I mean what's wrong with royal blue carpet, and hey, little Ax doesn't know the difference, at least not yet! I'm looking forward to the after photos as much as everyone else here, as long as I don't have to do too much in the "between" bits. I won't end with "regards" so love ya...Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was drunk or on drugs, the house probably wouldn't seem that bad, however unfortunately for me you were good parents leading me to a life of sobriety and bad carpet!! I promise to limit your help with the "betweens" because I really want to see what I can learn, however, I can't promise I wont be annoying and borrowing tools. I supplied you with grandchildren, that deserves a hammer drill now and then. Love ya, and of course my most deepest regards!
      (and of course your saying that because you're my Dad!)

      Delete
  4. Love your sense of humor. What were the former owners thinking??!!
    But you will turn it into a marvelous home! I tackle lots of projects that I have no earthly idea how to do~~and they always turn out ok~~not always exactly as I planned, but pretty darn good, considering. And since I never spend much on a project, it is always a thrill to have something better than it was to start with. And each one I do, I learn something new, and it inspires me to keep going, and learning! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to my neighbors, not much!
      I'm enjoying learning, I look around blog land wondering (hoping) I can one day achieve they classic style but I'll have to just keep on going trial and error

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. Right... erm... I see HUGE potential? Lots of room for personal touches? A wonderful opportunity?
    Ditch the estate agent speak. If it was my house, I, too, would start a blog about turning it into a place where I could eventually relaz without wanting to break out the power tools.
    I reckon that with a big budget, lots of time (hence no kids and no job plus a sugardaddy) and a crew of dedicated workers this would be easy, right?
    Good job the above factors don't apply to you- I will thoroughly enjoy your big mission to turn your house into a home ALL of you will love.
    And if I ever have to see that blue carpet again, I will probably pour acid into my eyes, just to make sure a third time won't happen. Oh my.
    Ax. I am still cackling!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it's going to look gorgeous when you're done.

    I like the blue carpet and the arches (sorry). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think its too bad Mel. And just think how much money you're saving by not actually going to McDonalds! LOL (I don't mean that. Your house is alright.)

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the best part may be your Dad's comment above...lol. Love it! It's always nice to know that all the bloggers out there don't live in a house that looks as if it's from a magazine. You are going to make it wonderful in every way! ;) I'm in the same boat as you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...