Adsense



    

Thursday 30 January 2014

I'm Back, Really Back!

Howdy Peeps,

I'm back in real time for 2014. It's been a lovely holiday with the kids and an interesting time of self discovery for me and so 2014 will most likely take this blog into a slightly different direction.

You see I preset my posts towards the end of December, to coincide with Julian taking some time off work and the kids going on Summer holidays. My plan was to use my weeks away from the blog as a chance to get a pile of posts in draft for this year.

Guess what? It didn't happen! What did happen though was that I truly enjoyed my time with the kids. We went swimming at the beach, sweated during a week of over 40 (110) days and the nights dropped all the way down to around 30 (86), we played a million games, I nearly went broke shouting them frozen yoghurt, (no jokes, $50 yikes!) and played under the hose with Nana.





We finger painted, we played with play dough, and I read a million books and guess what? I loved it.

Max also explored mixing fashion trends with cycling, Madeleine did too but she preferred to be nude so err not blogging those.



Then I had a bit of an issue in my craft room (more on that in coming posts) which lead me to look at the other rooms I have done and I realised I hate them (except for the kids room) but I do love how my entry is coming up. So I spent hours every night a little time on Pinterest looking at what I had pinned and then in the home decor section pinning décor I really love, no matter how ridiculous and imaginary it seemed. Which made me realise what my "style" is and why I love the entry and not the rest of the place. (Entry completion will take place soon).

So why am I sharing this, well 2014 for me and therefore the blog, will be more about me discovering and attempting to have that style on a minuscule budget, at some point last year I lost my way on the DIY and ended up doing mostly crafts. This post, aptly titled "There Is Always Hope" from Maureen at It's all Connected, made me cry and was a bit of a kick in the butt I needed to get me back on track with the house,(read both parts) left me feeling very inspired about no budget decorating. It also left me feeling very grateful for what I have in the mean time.

It also made me realise that my projects need to have a purpose, I feel I wasted a lot of time in 2013 doing things I don't really care about. I also have been searching the net for free things which I hope to share with you guys because lets be honest, anyone spending time DIYing is probably on some kind of a budget even if that budget is different for everyone.

So 2014 will be about trying new things with and for the kids and trying to organise my most hated household tasks (think cooking dinner and grocery shopping) I'm looking forward to this year and whatever it brings.

Kids are now officially back to school, and as much as I enjoyed most of the time, I am very glad to send them back!

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

20 comments:

  1. Go Mel!! I'm glad you enjoyed your time off and also glad you found some new direction. I'm surprised we didn't run into each other on those late night pinterest jags!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said you were going down a new road, I was hooked. I love it when people have an epiphany. It totally surprised me to see you mention a post of mine. After a decade as an interior designer, it would be easy for me to blog about that stuff. But, I'm more interested in my life journey than that stuff. There is a balance between how to do something and what we are. Seeing the real you lets your readers know what is possible. I'm glad you had that wonderful time on your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A break is always a great time to sit back and reflect on what you really love doing! Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed your time away! I'm back too...well I'm back to work today after my maternity leave. This means I'll have more time to read blogs...so this is perfect timing that you came back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take a break every few months to get back to reality, which is a good thing. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, Mel! I think we all are evolving, going in different directions. One day you want to do this and the next day you want to do that. Go with what makes you feel good and happy. I'll enjoy reading about your adventures, whatever they may be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back, Mel. I have been doing a lot of thinking about the direction my blog has gone, too, but haven't come to any real conclusions yet. I do know that I need to make some changes, though. Glad you have found your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am humbled to think I have in some small way inspired you to seek your true style. Good for you for starting down this exciting road! I am sure you will learn a lot about who you are deep inside and of course have a lot of fun. And - remember 'There is Always Hope' no matter what your situation . We live a truly blessed life and are so happy with our tiny corner of the world that we have made ours.
    Lynn @ www.etsy.com/shop/2becherished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lynn the story of your home really moved me. I think your home is beautiful and what you guys did with it is nothing short of amazing. I'm so happy you got your home and I wish you many years of happiness in it.

      Delete
  9. Glad to have you back ! Looking forward to some real budget decorating tips - so bring them on - I NEED them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goof for you Mel! I totally understand what you're saying because I've been doing a lot of reevaluating too. I guess we are always evolving and changing and that's a good thing. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typo alert... that should have said Good for you. Arghhh!! lol.

      Delete
  11. So glad to hear you enjoyed your time off. I am sure you made wonderful memories with your family...which is so much more important than getting ahead on blog posts. I can't wait to follow you in 2014. I love the direction you are going to be taking your blog in...as I love to do things but have a minimal (nearly non-existent budget).

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited to see what you've got up your sleeves for the upcoming year. What is your style, exactly? Country? Modern? Minimalist? So glad you had a lovely break and so glad the kids are back in school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know how you feel Mel. There is so much I want to do but there is only so much time in a day. I'm glad you enjoyed spending time with your family and gained a new perspective. I've been thinking about making changes as well. I look forward to a new year with ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you had such a good time with the kiddos and enjoyed your break Mel. Looking forward to reading your future posts, don't you just love Pinterest - it gives so much inspiration (although my house is turning into a real-life Pinterest board lol!)

    Take care my friend, hugs, E xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, welcome back there girl! You know that blogland just isn't the same when you're not around. Glad you had a great time with the kiddos!!

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness - this sounds just like my post yesterday. Enjoying lots of time with my family and giving myself permission to do that!

    Looking forward to reading your new posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...