Adsense



    

Thursday 17 October 2013

Silhouette Scarf

If there is one thing I know about kids, it's that they're kind of vain! Seriously show me a kid who doesn't like to see their name, I doubt you can! So I upped the name thing with Elizabeth's head on this scarf.




I seriously love all those silhouette crafts but couldn't think of anything to do then I made Elizabeth the Silhouette Toiletry Bag  and she loved it. All the girls on camp apparently wanted one and she was thrilled and said what else can you make? Challenge accepted but I had no idea. Then when I was making my Easiest Patchwork Blanket I had a piece of minkee left over that was just the right size for a scarf.

Wanna make one?

Supplies:

Minkee or is it Minkey? I don't know! Cut to desired size
Cotton Fabric cut same as minkee
Black Cotton
Sizzix Big Shot  (Optional)
A picture of your kid, side on profile
General sewing supplies



Sew minkee and fabric together, right sides facing and leave a gap to turn right way out. The close gap and topstitch all the way around.


Using the photo trace around the head onto the Heat'n Bond Ultra Hold Iron-On Adhesive. I used Ultra because you don't have to sew it. I would wash it on gentle cycle or in a pillow case but seriously now fiddly sewing, oh YEAH!!!


Iron it onto the back fabric and cut it out.


Grab your Sizzix Big Shot and cut out your letters using your Lifestyle Crafts Jump Rope 4-Inch by 4-Inch Alphabet Die. You could also embroider the name.

Iron it on your scarf.



Bob's your uncle one silhouette scarf! Bob in fact was my grandfather so that's a really stupid saying!





DIY Delight or Disaster? Umm me likey!! It's such a fun and simple thing to do but a huge impact and she loved it. Her friends want me to make them one. I think you could even buy a scarf if you're not keen on making one and do it with some tween girls as a craft night. Or they could put their head on one side and their BFF on the other. Although knowing girls that could be a dumb move, they tend to argue. On the whole I am calling this one a delight.

I know I am already a million times behind on the silhouette thing but is it truly over, or am I bringing it back like Justin Timberlake brought sexy back?? Either way I like it!

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo


19 comments:

  1. Definitely a delight! I love anything with a silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I don't sew..but I do think this is a fabulous delight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! And I think there is no better compliment than her friends wanting you to make them one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think a craft pajama party is in order over at your place. :) I think this is a delight. I looked up the Sizzix...I forgot what it was until I saw it. 361 reviews and they're almost all 5-star, lol. That's pretty darn good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome, Mel ! I also want a Sizzix ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what a Sizzix Big Shot is. Why do you get all the neat stuff? :P

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I want one of those Big Shot toys too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I want one of those Big Shot toys too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mel, you are hilarious. I love the silhouette. It looks great on the scarf. I can see why all her friends want you to make them one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You brought "Sexy" back to crafting Miss Mel! How about teaching these tweenies how to ! I think I see a TV show ??? xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think the silhouette thing is over yet. LOVE IT! That is one sexy scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I put my name on my shirt once...so I gave my kids "regular" names so that I could buy stuff with their names on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute, Mel!! I notice you call that soft fabric minkee, I think we call that fleece in my neck of the woods, or that may be something different. Sounds like you might be making an oodle of sillouette scarves real soon, too :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! I'm sure that Elizabeth was beyond tickled to get such a soft scarf. I spell it "minky" - is that wrong? It's baby-blanket material?

    My kids both still drag their super-soft baby blankets to bed with them every night, so I can imagine how wonderful it would be to wear that fabric around your neck.

    (I am also super intimidated by all of the sewing jargon you use... I'm such a novice...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. No wonder all the kids wanted one! Elizabeth is so lucky to have such a creative mom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute Mel! Pinned this to my Sewing board!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You definitely brought sexy back!! I love that minkee, minkey, minky fabric too. Thought I would cover all my bases..lol I bet Elizabeth was thrilled with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are like a crafting machine lately!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty, Mel! Love this scarve so much!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...