Adsense



    

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Guest Post - Natalie from NorthShore Days

Morning guys,

While I'm on holidays with the kids, the lovely ladies from the Inspiration Cafe will be delighting you with their awesomeness. Today we have Nat from NorthShore Day, take it away Nat!





Hello Everyone, 

If you haven't met me before, I'm Natalie and I blog over at NorthShore Days where I share tutorials, crafts, DIY and funny stories about my family. 

 Ilove white decor and anything beachy, and I’m lucky enough to live verynear to the beach on the beautiful North Shore of Auckland, NewZealand. 




I’m so happy to be here atMellywood's Mansion today while Mel is away. 
Did you know that Mel and I,along with 3 other amazing bloggers, run Inspiration Cafe together? Remember to visit us there every Monday.
 
 I love making Jewelry, its a great passion of mine and I'm always on the lookout for something unique and interesting that can be worn on any occasion. I like to re-purpose or up cycle items if possible, which brings me to this easy little project...

I had this watch that I got for my 21st many years ago and had long since stopped working. So I took it apart, not quite sure what I would do with it.

I decided to stamp on the metal face, but if you look closely you will see that some of the markings started to rub off during the stamping process. 


I used aSharpie to enhance the stamped letters and when I wiped the excess inkoff, the rest of the watch markings came off too. 

Now I was left withbasically a plain pendant - which was actually okay.

While looking for components to add to my pendant, I decided on an old ring that was part of a set that I never wore and and earring which had lost its partner ages ago. And a large flat ring I had in my craft box.

Using E6000 I glued the ring onto the pendant. I also made a small hole into the top of the pendant using a needle and hammer, so that a jump ring could be threaded through.


I cut the back off the earing and glued it into the pendant, over the hole in the middle. Then added the flat ring to the pendant with a jump ring.

 I also came across a stash of really old Sterling silver chains at the back of my craft cupboard and one was the perfect length.....


 I love how it turned out and it cost me nothing except a bit of my time. 

The possibilities are endless, so have a look in your jewelry box or stash of broken watches and make yourself a fabulous new item...


Thanks for having me Mel. I hope you all enjoyed my post today.
 
   Take care

xxx



Photobucket





Thanks Nat!
I'm a huge fan of Nat's jewellery and own a few pieces of it myself. You can check out her Etsy shop by clicking the button way up there on the top left of your screen, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful necklace! You know I love a good recycle project and this one is a really great one! Natalie I love your background for these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Nat took something she wasn't using any more and repurposed it. So gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. by the way...that's Heather :) Obviously somebody logged me out.

      Delete
  3. This is really unique looking, what a great idea to use old watch parts. It's very eye catching and really pops against all that aqua, but it's just as gorgeous on your white background, as well. I've never made jewelry, but I have to say, I'm getting inspired!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funky and fun! I love the combination of the different coloured metals, and that you repurposed other pieces for this one. Really fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you upcycled something you weren't using. It's very nice!
    I would love to learn how to make my own jewelery... I'm just a bit afraid that I don't have the patience!

    Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have certainly inspired me to dig around in my jewellery box and use some of the pieces that are mismatched or broken! Nice job on the necklace and I love the background, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your lovely comments everyone, and a HUGE thank you to Mel for having me at the Mansion today xxx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  8. The necklace is lovely, Natalie !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way this turned out! Post like this validate why I should never throw anything away. My hubby is already a pack rat and I'm becoming one too. Thanks for sharing!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...