Adsense



    

Friday 19 April 2013

He Said He Was Bored - Reusable Kitchen Wipes




This is one of those projects that has been on my "I have to do this one day" list. And to be honest it would have stayed on that list until I got around to doing the kitchen because I am not sure what I want done in there, until Samuel told me he was bored. Here's how I did it

Supplies:
An old but clean towel
Scrap Fabric
Velcro
An old cardboard tube from the last roll you should ever buy.
Vinyl (optional)
Sewing supplies

I had just run out of kitchen wipes again and looking for a cloth when he announced there was nothing to do, I don't know why but I grabbed an old box and told him to cut me a 10 inch square. Then I took that and just traced around it and cut them out.




I also had some red fabric left from ages ago when I made the elmo nappy/diaper stacker and it's not great fabric so I thought it would be perfect and cut that.

I serged/overlocked them together but you could sew and flip them out the right way and added velcro.

Then I took the tube and wrapped it in vinyl and hot glued some velcro to attach the wipes to

Joined them up.


And rolled


So far so good


Stuck it on the roll and called it done.



DIY Delight or Disaster? To be honest they are really functional and way more handy than their paper counterparts, but When I do this to match the kitchen I will make sure my cotton matches and I will do a strip of velcro rather than the two side because it leaves a bit of a gap when pulling on the roll. So I'm not completely happy but I know they are worth it so I'm on the fence with this one.


Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

I would be delighted if you would follow me at any or all of these awesome places


Mellywood's Mansion
Mellyood's Mansion
Mellywood's Mansion

21 comments:

  1. Mel!! This is awesome! My sister never buys paper towels and I've been thinking about trying to not use them myself. I love the accessibility and of having them "tear" off like a paper towel. I'm pinning this AND...the next time Sam says he's bored, I'm telling him to "cut me a 10 inch square! You're a genius! Total delight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, this is awesome I love it. I have to tell you though, I just saw a show on the worlds biggest cheapskates, and there was woman that did this for her family's TP. I would NOT go THAT far, but I like this :)~
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea ! At the moment I am using two oversized face towels which are just all over the place. Yours look much better and great on a roll! Pinned :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is fantastic Mel - I am so doing this too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great project!! I love the eco-friendly-ness of it and I agree that cloth work so much better than paper. Love it!! Can't wait to see your kitchen re-do too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pinning this for when I get a house soon(very temporarily move), I think my mother in law would think I was crazy if I pulled these out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an environment goddess! Love the idea and Samuel did a marvellous job on creating the master pattern. Pinning

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel, these are so handy, I could use a roll in several rooms of my house. I'm pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As someone who only uses cloth, never buying paper towels, I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea, Mel. I have to confess, I'm somewhat addicted to paper towels, but this is a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm impressed. What a great project and so much better for the environment than paper. At least in pictures, the fabric you chose looks great. I wish I had a serger :(.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an excellent idea Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so want to make some of these! Thanks for the tutorial; I'm pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great tutorial! I use these things all the time!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love these, I have seen them on etsy but don't want to shell out the money for them. I might be too lazy to make them. :)

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection! We appreciate you taking the time to link up, make sure to check back on Friday when we feature out favorites.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a way better alternative to paper towels than any I've seen. I say delight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done for getting a round to this Mel. I had this on my to make list for MONTHS before I finally made some - and am so glad I did, they are fabulous to have and have saved me so much in kitchen paper!! :)
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really need to do these! They seem so economical. Thank you for sharing! I’d love to have you visit me at Get Your Crap Together! We have a Pattern Party from the 1st of the month to the 10th and would love you to check it out. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so pleasant assortment never seen such uncommon things kitchen cloths. much obliged for sharing this data.Pool heater reviews consumer reports

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...