Adsense



    

Tuesday 11 September 2012

ELmo Nappie/Diaper Stacker

Hey All,

So If you read my past two posts, you may have got the feeling that I was a little disappointed with my first two projects for the babies room. My good friend Pinterest, seemed to be mocking me, until I said, alright, time for me to put my big girl pants on and the only way to deal with feeling less than awesome is to make something to help organize the crap, so I attempted something I really wasn't sure I was going to be able to pull off.

 A Nappy (that's Diaper, for my international friends) Stacker!


BTW I have spent around a quarter of my life changing nappies. A quarter, 25% of my life has included cleaning up after little people! If that's not motherly love at it's finest, I don't know what is!





So I saw this on Pinterest and followed the tutorial from Sew Dang Cute, man does she have some cool stuff.


I'm not going to lie, I made a few mistakes but on the whole I managed to make it in red. I also swapped the recommended poster board bottom, cause I didn't have any, for an empty 6 pack holder, I know what your thinking, Trailer Trash, but I've been on Pinterest some of those Trailers are so pretty, I'd happily live in one.

Then I googled a picture of Elmo and resized the face to fit. Grabbed some felt and heat and bond, I always draw on the heat and bond, roughly cut it out, then iron and cut out the shape.



Tip: Use really sharp scissors with felt.

Ironed on his face and there you go an Elmo Nappy/Diaper Stacker.



If you look close, you can see, I just used to hang the bag of nappies on the wardrobe door.


Now we have Elmo to watch over the kids while they sleep, oh Elmo, always so happy!



Also, I'm trying to further my sewing skills so I've been following along with Ros at Sew Delicious, she's running a Back to Basics series, I do have very basic skills, she is filling in the gaps for me. I know a few of you guys mentioned you had love/hate relationships with your machines, so check her out here. Not to mention she's a fellow Aussie gal like myself and you know we rock!


DIY Delight or Disaster? Well I have to say, while I was sewing it up I thought I would be presenting you with another disaster, but after I finally got the ruffle on and added Elmo's face, Delight!


What do you think?

Mel xo




15 comments:

  1. Elmo is adorable. You're a hoot, and I enjoy the chuckle I get from reading your posts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Mel!! I'm impressed!!
    I didn't bother with a nappy stacker... I was too busy showing off all our funky cloth nappies for that.
    However, I did make doll wearing mei tais for the boys once!
    Go you! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. its definitely more than I could ever do!!! Just got my first sewing machine..

    I don't even know how to sew a button.. they keep falling off!

    #teamIBOT was here to say hello!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's cute! A 1/4 of your life changing nappies... that's scary! Now I have to work mine out, though having 4 kids in 5 years has compacted the whole process a little. I'm hoping I won't be changing them for anymore than 8 years or so in total!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I am not at all crafty and would never consider a project like this - good on you for giving it a go. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's awesome! You did a really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute idea! And it looks *just* like Elmo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just been catching up on your posts - love what you are doing with the nursery. Your kids'll love your makes and that's what matters! Just have fun with it, Elmo would make anyone smile! Definite delight!

    Take care, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mel: What a cute idea, and good for you for improving the sewing skills. I can sew a little and prefer simple and quick sewing projects--mostly I have a hard time seeing to thread the needle, which is a pain but what can you do when you get older?? Buy glasses, I guess! It was so nice to hear from you over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Mel that is very cool! Well done, you should be proud!
    I've never used a nappy stacker simply because it is another thing I would have to fill up! Straight out of the packet for my lazy self ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it and l will give you a little hint as too who l am.......you do know me as l am related to you and l'm female :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is greatness! your Elmo face looks perfect- which can be hard for some to achieve and the end result is wonky. That goes for your lovely vinyl revamp Sesame Street chest as well! so bright and cherry and well executed! ((HUGS)) p.s. you crack me up, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cool. We love Elmo around here!

    Stopping by from Live Laugh Rowe. Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can :)
    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so adorable! I need to learn how to sew for sure. All of your sesame st projects are so cute - I will be pinning some since they are such great ideas :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...