Adsense



    

Tuesday 25 June 2013

How the heck does she afford to feed all those kids? - Bulk Muffin Mix





Last time I shared my bulk bread maker mix, I mentioned that people say dumb things, so for those looking for a few ways to feed larger families I thought I would share mine. Bulk mixes aren't a new idea, but the first time you try them you'll be sold. Remember if your not feeding a huge family you can always half the recipe but these will last for around 6-8 months. I have never had an issue things go quick around the mansion.


Ingredients:
  • 16 cups of Plain Flour (also called All Purpose in other countries)
  • 6 cups of sugar
  • 6Tbs Baking Powder
  • 4 tsp Salt
  • 4 tsp Cinnamon


Mix all the ingredients into a large container, then get ready to make muffins in a snap!

I do heaps of different flavors, using whatever I have on hand:

  • 1/2 cup of choc chops
  • 1 grated apple and 1/2 cup of Sulatanas
  • 1/4 cup of whit choc chips & 1/4 cup of dried blueberries
  • 1 Tbs of Poppyseeds 1 tsp lemon essence & a Tbs of lemon zest (change to how you like your lemon we love it

So here's how I make them up

2 &3/4 cups of Muffin Mix
1 cup of Milk ( I use light milk but full cream will work)
1/2 cup of Canola Oil
1 Egg 

Preheat oven to 190 Degrees Celsius (400F)
Spray muffin tin (I use a 12 tin tray)
Mix all of the above until just combined
Add desired flavors
Measure 1/4 cup of mix into each muffin cup
Bake for 18-20 minutes

Now you may noticed mine are a little cracked...well so am I, but this is due to my oven being a little off and baking is an exact science.


My taste tester really doesn't mind!



So there you go a quick, easy and cheap way to fill those lunch boxes up. For the price of 1&1/2 boxes of pre purchased muffin mix, you have around 15 mixes, with no preservatives.




DIY Delight or Disaster? It's an easy, cheap way to give your kids real food that is preservative and chemical free. Delight!



Be Delighted Every Day, Follow Mellywood's Mansion!
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here




28 comments:

  1. Delight. And I like the cracked muffins, it looks more homey to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned! I love these bulk mixes :-) Think I'll try the Lemon & Poppy seed first !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bulk mixes - I really need to do more of that prep-type stuff! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! That's quite the savings...and you get to put it in that cute container. Loved seeing a picture of your taste tester. He is SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so love this mix. I am planning on making it for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Now I'm feeling hungry - white chocolate and blueberry sounds delish :)

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! We're a family of 6 and my grocery bill is high. This is definitely a recipe we need! Thanks for sharing Mel! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when they crack on top Mel (and I'm a bit cracked as well LOL). You know I'm a fan of these bulk mixes. This sounds like a good one.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when they are cracked at the top, too.... sounds like it's trending... great recipe, Mel. I can halve or quarter it for Ken and I and the additional one or two that show up from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smart smart smart! You are one practical and smart person and I am so glad you are a blogger too so that we can learn some of your tips. Well done once again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mel, I love the idea of muffins being just a few minutes away from my mouth! This is a keeper for me and I only have Sam and myself to cook for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea!
    I'm going to do this tomorrow during nap time and then in the afternoon (with my little one) we can make some muffins - he loves cooking...and i'll love not having to make such a mess :D
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely pinning this one! I love the thought of whipping up a batch of lemon muffins. Thanks Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Cracked muffins- I thought that was normal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great idea! My kids love muffins so this would be very useful in our house. Thanks for sharing!

    Ritchil
    http://chengand3kids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so smart. I should do this instead of buying the pre mixed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so great! I really need do this too.. So much cheaper and better than buying individual mixes :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! Yes! Yes! i can't wait to pass this on to my daughter - Thanks Mel!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay - thanks for this Mel!!!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing this recipe! Just tried this. Is 1/2 cup if oil correct? Mine were a greasy, half-risen mess. After half an hour of them frying in the oven, I trashed them. Silver lining: now my house smells like donuts :) Tried again with 1/4 cup oil and they're baking - not frying - now, looking much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, they still collapsed out of the oven and are leaving my hands greasy like a pizza. What am I doing wrong?

      Delete
    2. Hi Jessica,

      That's really disappointing, I searched around to see the reason why it might not have worked for you and found these tips http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/16533/why-dont-my-muffins-rise-and-develop-tops-properly

      which might be handy. Having read this I would say get a whisk and stir the mixture through to incorporate some air. I don't sift my flour when I make the mix but I do use a whisk just because I find it easier to make sure everything is properly mixed, Which in turn would act kind of like sifting. When your using such big quantities it can be hard to get it mixed thoroughly.
      I have been using this for years so I'm unsure why it hasn't worked for you but I hope these the website above may give you a reason as to why it's happening.
      Good luck, I hope this fixes the problem.

      Please let me know

      Mel

      Delete
    3. Thank you for replying! Confession: I still ate them :) I'll experiment around - maybe substituting applesauce for the oil will help? I really appreciate your help and this recipe!

      Delete
    4. ha you've made me laugh...I would have served them up to my lot :)

      You can make them with applesauce or yogurt as a straight swap for the oil I will say I found that it had a slightly denser feel when I did but hey, it's lower in fat and it wasn't a huge difference. I actually thought of something else, I once swapped out my tin muffin tray for silicone and it was horrible. I hope you sort it out because it really is so handy, sorry I couldn't be more help.

      Delete
  21. This is such a good idea. And its so easy to customize muffin mix.. just add in a few bananas or blue berries and it's a whole new recipe! Thanks for linking this up last week at the pin it proudly link party. I pinned it on pinterest I can’t wait to see what you link up this week! here's the link to this weeks party

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have you ever tryed to make orange cranberry muffins if so did you replace the milk with oj or just some of it. They are a fav in my house along with chocolate so I would love to have just one mix and make both.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have you ever tryed to make orange cranberry muffins if so did you replace the milk with oj or just some of it. They are a fav in my house along with chocolate so I would love to have just one mix and make both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but I would probably replace the milk with orange juice. I can't see that it would make too much of a difference to swap out liquid for liquid. If you try it please let me know how they turned out :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...