Adsense



    

Monday 16 December 2013

Mini Knitted Christmas Stockings

When I was a kid, I went to my grandparents house every Sunday, after church we would go to my Grandparents house for dinner. All my cousins and Aunts and Uncles would be there and it was great fun. My favourite thing, other than Nana's desserts, was to go through her collection of magazines. These magazines were older than me and I used to gather up the Christmas ones and just drink in the beautiful crafts and decorations.



My favourite decoration was a mini knitted Christmas stocking. When I had Samuel 15 years ago, I hunted down that pattern, god bless Nana for being a hoarder, it was still there. I copied it out and I have been making them every year since, I fill them with lifesavers for the tree and my kids just LOVE them.


You'll need scraps of wool in whatever colour you have to match your décor and size 5mm needles. These are knitted on two needles, so you will have a seam but this is something a beginner can do.

Cast on 30 st
K 6 rows (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,)
R7 K16, Sl1, k1, psso turn
R8  K4 k2tog turn
R9 k4 sl1 k1 psso turn
Con til 17 st remain
K 20 rows (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,)
Join next colour 
K 6 rows (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,)
Cast off.

Then just sew it up and leave enough for a loop to hang on the tree.



DIY Delight or Disaster? I LOVE these, they make great gifts or string them for a garland, I even made one for Elizabeth as an advent, she loved it. Plus they remind me of my childhood spent in my Nana's recliner wishing every day was Christmas. Delight.

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

13 comments:

  1. These are so cute, Mel ! I remember knitting some similar to yours when I was little, but all that knitting knowledge has now blown out of the window ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to go to my gram's on Sunday, every Sunday too, right after church. I loved any time we were there. and she was a good cook! She had a knitting bag with pattern books tucked in the back and I loved to go through them and let her know what I'd like to have, hahahha. I wasn't crafty even then. :) I like your stockings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable, Mel. I would have to fill them with Hershey's kisses. Probably multiple times since they would mysteriously empty themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful creation filled with happy memories. I wish I knit. These are adorable and would look great in Grace's dollhouse. Maybe I'll convince my mom to make some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There really is only one word to describe your cute little stockings - - ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are sooo cute mel! Love the colours too. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you have the patience of a ....well a lot of patience. lol brain freeze!! They are so cute Mel. I am always in awe of people who knit and crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that your Nana still had the very magazine you needed! These are gorgeous! It makes me think about trying my hand at knitting again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are precious. I used to clean house for an elderly lady. A couple of times I helped her put up her Christmas tree and she had knitted hats and stockings. She even gave me a few. I love them and take them out every year. Thank goodness your nana was a hoarder and saved those craft mags that were older than YOU!! I'm sure your lot will cherish these as the years go by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so sweet! Again - another reminder that I need to learn yarn-art. I am so envious of you ladies with the ability to create things - like stockings! - from yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! The only way I know how to knit is with that loopy stuff you make into a scarf. I could go for some thick wool socks though. Might have to teach myself...

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always make me wish I could knit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...