Adsense



    

Thursday 27 March 2014

You're Invited To Cream Tea at The Mansion...Scone Recipe

Morning All,

So I am going to tell you about my favourite thing in the world, it's when my Nana (Dad's Mum) and her sisters organise a family event. They are the BEST home cooks and bakers ever! Just to make the point, Samuel's reaction to the last funeral we went to was, "Awesome, will they all be cooking?" RIP Great, Great Grandpa, I know he didn't mean to be disrespectful, it's just that teenage boys only think with their stomachs. 

Anyway, I thought I might share some of the recipes that makes my kids excited about meeting up with the extended family, although this version actually came from a friend.



Three Ingredient Scones, because Devonshire or Cream Teas as they are known in England,such a delight to us it had to be first on my list.

You will need

  • *3 Cups Of Self Raising Flour 
  • 1 Cup Whipping (Heavy) Cream
  • 1 Cup of Sprite


*( I have noticed that I don't see this listed on North American blogs so if you cant get it you can make it by using 3 cups of All Purpose flour, 1 Tbs of Baking Powder and 1 tsp of salt and sift them together)

Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F

Add the flour followed by the wet ingredients and mix using a dough hook or by hand with a wooden spoon until it comes together, it will be very sticky.


Knead on a well floured surface until it is no longer sticky.


Roll it out to around an inch thick and using a scone cutter, (or a glass like Nana used) cut out your scones and continue to push together and cut until you have used up the dough.

The last small piece is always made by hand and is called the baker's delight, this one is for taste testing and obviously because it's not a real scone, it has no calories (It's what we tell ourselves)


Line a tray with baking (parchment) paper and bake for about 18 minutes or until golden brown.


Then cool, split in half and top with jam and fresh whipped cream, I usually buy the 500 ml bottle and whip the left over cream from the scone recipe. Do not substitute it for that fake stuff, it can't hold a candle to fresh whipped cream!




I swear to you, in my humongous family these are ALWAYS the first to go and that's saying something because every dish holds a delight!

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

29 comments:

  1. Yum! I love lemonade scones, such a great recipe. Did you know they call it a 'Cream Tea' over in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scones looks so delicious I'm going to have to give it a try. And it seems so simple with just three ingredients. We call it self-rising flour here and it's readily available. That was the only thing my mom used in baking so naturally self rising flour was what I used too . . . that is, until I met a very dear friend who made fun of me for using. All purpose flour along with baking powder and salt was the only way to go. So she said. But I do love my self rising flour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good Mel! Your picture is gorgeous as well! Your recipe is easier than mine and I'm anxious to give it a try...as soon as I can get to the store and buy cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM. Those look delicious. Looks like they came right out of some fancy bakery. I'm impressed. You obviously have your oven back and are taking advantage of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing this!
    (Last weekend one of my friends made zucchini bread and used baking soda because she was out of baking powder. Basically she ended up with zucchini paving stones. Don't tell her I told you.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound delicious! I'm going to have to try these out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made my mouth water!! Looks so yummy Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3 INGREDIENTS !!! Definitely making this, Mel - it looks amazing ! And I know about the "bakers delight" ;-) Best part to test !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am coming over. :) This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pinned it! We have self-raising flour here. :) I haven't ever had fresh whipped cream, I'm curious. And I love scones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to try making these and it looks pretty straight ahead. Love that it only has three ingredients, too. It's only real whipped cream in this house.The fake stuff tastes like chemicals and it's super easy to whip your own. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We do have self-rising flour, but I think it's more of a Southern thing here in US, especially used for making biscuits. Your scones look quite yummy, and I'm guessing are much like our biscuits?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh nommies!!!!!!! I love scones. :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3 ingredient anything is my kind of recipe, these look amazing and thank you for the tip on self rising flour. I know we have it but it's not the standard and if you hadn't mentioned it I would have surely made them with regular flour because I always miss those details when cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love scones Mel, and these look absolutely delicious! I've never made any myself because I thought they were difficult. I think I can handle this. And fake whipped cream is not allowed in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE that this scone recipe is only 3 ingredients! Yes, we have self-rising flour over here in the US. Makes things a bit faster! Thanks for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're very welcome I hope you make them and love them as much as my family does :)

      Delete
  17. LOVE this Mel! It looks easy enough. I've never been able to make biscuits, they always turn out like baseballs, but maybe this recipe would work for me. They look so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I shared on my Facebook page and also PINNED. :) Have a great day. Linda at Crafts a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am definitly going to try this. I just wanted to double check on the thickness of the roll out. The picture might be tricking me but it doesn't look like an inch thick. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a camera trick but these may have been a little thinner, personally I prefer them thicker :)

      Delete
  20. Hi Mel,

    So nice to meet you!

    Your cream tea scones are scrumptious, simple to make, and I'm sure, very satisfying! They are very pretty, too! Thanks for sharing!

    Visiting via Brag About It,

    Poppy@poppyview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing recipe, thanks so much! I worked for a retirement home owned and operated by the Daughters of the British Empire, a US based org. We always had scones at our parties, with strawberry jam, ,butter and whipped cream. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. G'Day from Brisbane! How funny to see your post at an American linky party. I love the recipe BTW as I also make my scones with sprite!

    If you have a minute to spare I’d be thrilled if you could share your post at my weekly Say G’Day Saturday linky party. It has just started and this would be a fabulous addition.

    Best wishes for a great weekend.
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are terrific, the perfect treat with a cup of tea too. I invite you to share this yumminess at my Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop ( you can link up through Sat) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi I love scones but always find that I am to lazy to make them. This seems like the perfect solution. Would you mind if I place this on my own blog but with a link to yours for the recipe for my readers? I am sure they would all love to be able to find an easier way to make these delectable treats.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Self-rising flour is available in Canada under the brand Brodie. Love your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...