Adsense



    

Tuesday 6 August 2013

How the heck does she feed all those kids? Veggie Garden!

Hi Guys,

This post orginally appeared over at the Inspiration Cafe

Mel from Mellywood's Mansion and I'm really excited to share with you how we turned our pretty ordinary yard into our own little food bowl.

When kid 4 out of five came it was a big shock to us financially, we'd literally lost half our income and had an extra mouth to feed. So we really started researching all the best ways to save a few $$ and veggies gardening was one of those things that kept coming up. Living in a warmer climate means we can grow veggies year round, although winter is limited to beans, lettuces and Asian greens

We had no idea what we were doing, so basically this is a pictorial of how we started as newbies and transformed the yard into a productive garden.

We started small with a few pots and bought ready made seedlings, once we were a little confidence we started planting our own seeds.


Those little pots gave us so much joy that we decided to expand to the front of the block and bought a few raised garden beds. Planted and watched our garden grow. (It was around Christmas hence the candy canes)


When we moved into the "Mansion" there was already a huge, well established lemon tree, this tree fruits for around 10 months of the year. We supply everyone and anyone who asks...not to mention the thieves that climb the outside of the fence). Then we planted bare rooted apple trees and a tiny dwarf tree, which we finally got fruit from this year after 3 years.



The apples grew and we expanded our fruit trees to include peaches, nectarines, almonds and pears.


Then we made the decision to add even more beds and dug up the back with a little (actually a lot) of help from the boys.


Then we awaited the "fruits" of our labor. Julian named the back garden Pete's Garden for his father who passed away.


Unfortunately I don't have a lot of pictures of produce but here is a small sample.


All in all this is three years of work. We've read everything we could get our hands on, asked lots of questions and made a few mistakes but all in all I highly recommend trying it. By starting small and increasing as we went it wasn't as overwhelming as we thought it would be and we now save $100's a year by eating from our own garden.

So Melly, Melly, how does your garden grow? With hard work, patience and a lot of fun. Also I've said "we" a lot, I started with the small area in the beginning but Jule's and the boys are really the brains and labor behind most of what you've seen, including the cooking!

Right at present our peach and almond tree is beginning to flower which means Spring is right around the corner....Thank goodness for that!

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

Be Delighted Every Day, Follow Mellywood's Mansion!
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here

10 comments:

  1. If you ever want any cress you know where to come ;) Really love all the different veggies you grow, fab for the kids - bet they have a lot of fun tending the garden!

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remain overwhelmingly impressed. I only wished I lived in the same country...I'd either get pointers from you, or beg for some fresh veggies and fruit. And, of course, I'd happily take some lemons off your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing garden you have! I've always hoped to start a garden and never really get around to it. I'm guessing next summer may be the time to start for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a thriving (organic) veggie patch too. I love telling hubby to 'go get {insert veg here}' to use for dinner. No longer have to go to the shops, just walk out the back.

    Yours look fantastic. I wish we had space for the fruit trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a transformation you have had over time! Well done to you and the family. When we first started planting in the garden, we had very little idea as well but it is amazing how much you learn from your experience and others each year. It only gets better. I cannot keep my eyes off those peaches -with the little beauty behind- by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your hard work and determination, and ability to not kill things! :) I want to have a garden someday, though I'm probably hopelessly lazy and it'll never work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still crushin on this garden and it's bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous right now! If I even look at a plant it dies. I don't neglect them, I research how to care for each type of plant and follow the instruction ... and I still am the grim reaper of the plant world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Mel your garden is amazing! And I'm totally jealous of that gorgeous lemon tree. I wouldn't take the fence climbing thieves though!! That's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Garden envy here! Once again, your garden is so impressive and I think including the kids in the labor of it is such a good parenting lesson. Must be lucky to live in such fruitful climate :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, between housework and 5 kids, this is the only thing I get out of bed for ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...